Saturday, January 19, 2013

Fedora 17 troubles

Again... After some time, that  I've spend without any troubles with Ubuntu 12.06, I've decided to upgrade to 'more stable' 12.10. This was my mistake.  It is much more worse in real life then 12.06.
At first glance, it looks nifty, but Gnome 3 still looks like a cheap Chinese imitation of Mac OSX. But in Mac OSX, everything looks perfect! Every pixel or every icon is perfect! Gnome still looks like amateur's work... More worse, every time,  I've got  a lots of strange errors about calendar or something else, that I've never used. After upgrading to kernel 3.5.0.18, I can't even login to my system with NVidia driver without 'nouveau' support at all... I even can't switch to new terminal by Alt+Ctrl+F... !  That's all. I've decided to switch to Fedora again. Though.. Here are some troubles also... But with some help from Mr.Google, I've found some useful solutions.

1.  If you prefer (like me) to disable nouveau support and use NVidia drivers:

edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg:
linux /vmlinuz- ... rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0
Remove / disable nouveau drivers from kernel initramfs:
## Create new initramfs image
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
After login with this kernel, you can run NVidia driver installer.


2. If you would like to login to 3-th run level instead of graphical mode:

Edit symlink /etc/systemd/system/@default.target from /lib/systemd/system/runlevel5.target 
to /lib/systemd/system/runlevel3.target 
After login, just type startx to start working in graphic mode (if you wish) 

3. Solving problem with 3Delight license manager.


If you have error message like:
3DL ERROR R5050: Cannot run more than one 3Delight free license at once
This is likely, that 3Delight license manager expects that your primary network adapter will be named as 'eth0', but clever guys from Fedora staff  supposed that it have to be named like in bios. E.g. 'p37p1' in my case. So, ...
1. rename your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p37p1 to ifcfg-eth0
2. replace DEVICE="p37p1" inside this file to DEVICE="eth0", NAME=eth0.
3. add file '70-persistent-net.rules' to /etc/udev/rules.d
and write there something like:
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:25:54:8d:70:4e", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="p37*", NAME="eth0"
(ATTR{address}--here must be your system mac address, of course)

After that, I've even tried to update my working system to Fedora 18 (just for fun) using 'fedup'...
I've downloaded a lot of new packages, rebooted... and found myself inside just the grub shelf, because fedup-cli removed my grub.cfg at all!  Thanks. I'll wait until Fedora 19. May be later...


1 comment: